Monday, April 14, 2014

Blog Status


At the last awards dinner, JZ affectionately described our league as being our version of little league; A chance to relive that great part of our childhood. Personally, I’d take it even a step further and say it feels like our version of being in the Major Leagues. In Little League we never had the leaderboard posted or had pre-season predictions. We never had MVPs and Cy Young Award winners or Rookie and Manager of the Years. In Little League we never kept stats so carefully that it enabled us to keep some kind of formal history of the league and its players.  These are all things we associate with professional baseball and these are all reasons why this league is so awesome.
This is also why I started the blog. In keeping the tradition of this feeling like our version of the Major Leagues, I wanted to create a forum where the league could get discussed, just how you can check the Star Ledger the day after a big game and read a columnist give his angle on what happened. If the game summaries represented the next day’s box score, I wanted to represent the next day’s Mike Lupica. Is that taking the league too seriously? Probably. But that was part of the fun. The day the blog turned into something not fun is the day it feels right to end it.

Before the season started, I wasn’t sure whether to continue doing it anyway. That’s why the pre-season rankings were done at the last minute. At this point I’ll update the blog occasionally if something strikes me as interesting. I love the passion of the league, and I can’t wait to see everyone on the field and at Wednesday Night games.

Thank you for reading.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy the blog. It's well written and provides good discussion points for each team/match-up. Mitch's picks aren't locks, but he provides insider info such as who's hot, who's not, who's missing games and who has the highest OPS on Wednesday night games on UH right during a leap year in July. Either way, it's thorough, funny and adds to league. I hope he keeps it going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Mike. I greatly look forward to reading Mitch's outlook on the league, as well as his weekly predictions and his comedic commentary. He follows players for years and tracks statistics like a pro. It would be an unfortunate loss if this blog does not continue, but I can understand why Mitch may decide to give it up. It must be a huge time commitment, and if he feels like people don't really value or appreciate it anymore, then what's the point. Anyhow, I personally love it, and hope it continues. I am confident that many of you feel the same way! Well done Mitch. I hope you keep it up. See you on 5/11 at Municipal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mitch - You should continue doing your blog. Everything needs to be taken tongue and cheek with no harm to anybody. There are tons of guys that forward to reading your weekly rankings. We all need to let by gones be by gones and not look into it. This is no different then the pre-season predictions done on the Marlboro website. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete