Saturday, August 13, 2011

Power Rankings


I made a little change when working on this week's power rankings. Instead of glancing at record, recent performance, I set up an easy formula to eliminate as much subjective thought as possible. Of course it's tough to eliminate it completely since I'm the one determining what to put in the formula. I ranked teams in different categories as if this were a rotisserie fantasy baseball league and assigned percentages for each category. The breakdown is:

Overall Record- 35%
Overall Run Differential- 35%
Second Half Record- 15%
Second Half Run Differential- 15%

I think this is a system that could be tinkered with forever. It's always debatable what kind of categories to include and what weight should be given to each. I wanted something that gives emphasis to how a team has played recently but does not ignore the whole season. If I put a ton of value on recent play then the rankings would fluctuate too much. The main goal was to come up with a formula where the end results pretty much align with what should be expected but also provide some insight that would have been missed if this power ranking was conducted just by glancing at the records. Another goal was to defeat the boredom of having nothing to do at my part-time job. I feel this was a huge success on both counts. I mentioned it in my previous post, but by far the change that stands out the most is how much Team Schefkind moved up. It has become clear that their 2-9 start was a product of bad luck. The system isn't perfect but I'm going to try using it for the remainder of the regular season. I also have some additional formulas in mind for a special playoffs preview at the end of the season. But until then, here are the latest rankings:

1. Pollock(1)
2. Goldfarb(2)
3. Sarcona(3)
4. Younger(4)
5. Peragine(6)
6. Carlin(5)
7. Beilis(9)
8. Granese(7)
9. Schefkind(15)
10. Spiegel(8)
11. Harris(12)
12. Lapine(11)
13. Wallman(10)
14. Randell(14)
15. Feldman(13)
16. Applebaum(16)

No comments:

Post a Comment