Saturday, August 20, 2011

Power Rankings

I'm going to do two power rankings every week. The "official" rankings will be based on the formula I started using last week. The other will be based on my own judgment that I've been using for most of the season. The problem with a formula based ranking is that it does not take into account special game situations like key players missing games. Certain teams will be missing important players for the rest of the season, so their formula based rankings will take a beating. However, I can take that into consideration when doing my own list.

Like I mentioned last week, there's a chance the formula could be improved with some tweaking but for the most part I think it's a good indication of where teams are in relation to each other. I'm also going to list the total score for each team. Based on the point values, the highest a team could score is 160, the lowest is 10. If two teams are tied, the team with the overall best record will get the tie breaker. Here's a quick reminder how the system works:

I ranked each team in four categories. Each category carries a percentage of the overall score based on its importance:

Overall Record -35%
Overall Run Differential-35%
Second Half Record-15%
Second Half Run Differential-15%

I think second half performance is very important, but I also kept it mind that the last 11 games of the season are also factored into the "Overall" categories as well. For example, at the end of the season a team's second half record will really account for 22.5% of the formula (15% for "Second Half Record" and half of the 35% for Overall Record). I think this is a good balance to use. For each category the top team received 160 points, second best received 150 points, third received 140 points, etc. Multiply the points earned in that category by the percentage of the category and that's how many points a team earned for that part of the formula.

Even though the only games we had since the last power rankings were this past Wednesday Night, there still was movement on the list. I wonder how much the results are going to change after all the doubleheaders this week. It should be an exciting Softball Sunday!

Power Rankings Based on Formula:

1. Pollock (1) 150
2. Sarcona (3) 130.25
3. Younger (4) 129
4. Peragine (5) 126.5
5. Goldfarb (2) 123.5
6. Carlin (6) 110.5
7. Beilis (7) 108
8. Granese (8) 88.75
9. Schefkind (9) 79.5
10. Spiegel (10) 65.5
11. Harris (11) 65.5
12. Wallman (13) 56.75
13. Lapine (12) 48
14. Randell (14) 31.5
15. Feldman (15) 28.75
16. Applebaum(16) 18



And here are my own personal rankings:

1. Pollock
2. Younger
3. Goldfarb
4. Sarcona
5. Peragine
6. Carlin
7. Granese
8. Beilis
9. Spiegel
10. Harris
11. Schefkind
12. Wallman
13. Lapine
14. Randell
15. Feldman
16. Applebaum

No comments:

Post a Comment